Think you know your gemstones? Test your knowledge of November’s birthstones, citrine and topaz, with our true or false quiz!
Scroll down for the answers—but don’t cheat!
- Citrines are quartz crystals commonly found in igneous, metamorphic, and sedimentary rocks.
- The common color of citrines is blue and green.
- The word citrine is derived from the French word, citrin, which means yellow.
- Citrine is the gemstone for the zodiac sign of Scorpio, and the gemstone given for the 13th and 17th wedding anniversaries.
- In ancient times, citrine was worn as protection against bad skin, evil thoughts, snakebites, and even the plague.
- A gift of citrine is a symbol of flexibility and quick learning.
- Some believe citrine began as amethyst, the purple quartz, with the heat from molten rock changing it to yellow quartz.
- The presence of fluorine usually indicates that topaz is likely to be found.
- When topaz has yellow or green overtones, it is known as Imperial topaz, and can be very rare and expensive.
- It is widely believed that the word topaz is derived from the Sanskrit word, topas, which means fire.
- Topaz jewelry is given for the 4th, 19th and 23rd wedding anniversaries.
- Topaz is known as the “stone of the gods” for its strength.
- A gift of yellow topaz symbolizes friendship, strength, wisdom, and courage.
- Topaz was believed to ease itchy feet and cravings for sweets.
- The ancient Egyptians believed yellow topaz’s color came from the glow cast by the sun god, Ra.
- The ancient Greeks believed topaz could make its wearer fly.
November birthstone true/false answers:
- False. The common color of citrines is yellow and orange.
- False. The word citrin is a French word which means lemon.
- False. Citrine given as a gift symbolizes strength and hope.
- False. When topaz has red or pink overtones, it is known as Imperial topaz.
- False. Topaz is known as the “stone of strength.”
- False. Topaz was believed to ease bad tempers, cure insanity, and help insomnia.
- False. The ancient Greeks believed topaz could make its wearer invisible.
If you’re looking for jewelry but don’t want to pay retail prices, visit Adina’s eBay store where you can rely on the jewelry experts at Adina Jewelers. You’ll find fine a vast selection of beautiful jewelry and get a buying experience that’s above your expectations.