New York Fashion Week 2018 took place September 6-14. Here’s a rundown of the jewelry styles and trends seen on the runways, courtesy of jckonline.com.
Ideas from the Streets
The streets outside of fashion shows have always been filled with trendsetters inspiring others with their looks, and New York Fashion Week was no exception. Jckonline writer and blogger, Brittany Siminitz who covered the event, observed that what people are wearing on the street gives us an insight into what styles are current, both in the type of jewel and how to wear it, while runway fashion shows are a glimpse into the looks that will be trending in the future.
Many of the looks that caught her eye at New York Fashion Week are enduring trends: hoop earrings, big statement studs, and necklaces worn in layers.
Big and bold gold was “the king and queen” of all that is bejeweled. “I’m so inspired by how these women wear it; surprised by how effortless some of the bigger looks appear: choker-length necklaces and big earrings worn together are somehow unfussy looking where I would have imagined they’d be too much,” Siminitz commented. Bangle bracelets were also seen, worn both at the wrist bone and a bit further up the arm.
Here’s a look at some unconventional pieces seen at New York Fashion Week, courtesy of Vogue Paris.
- A gold lipstick case caught the eyes of Vogue Paris on the runway. More decorative jewelry than pragmatic case, the cases swung from models’ belts to add a touch of shining glamour to the looks.
- The Greek accessory, kombolói, also known as “worry beads,” is thought to help relieve stress, and, according to jewelry designer Tory Burch, is next season’s must-have accessory.
- Large arm bracelets were seen perched on the biceps of many models. Worn in a variation of configurations, some models had bracelets layered symmetrically on both sides, while others had three in a cascade down their arms.
- Riding the small bag trend, designer Brandon Maxwell created what is possibly the smallest bag in existence. A golden chain no bigger than a ring and engraved with the label’s logo was spotted on the runway, carried by the likes of Gigi and Bella Hadid.
- Prabal Gurung’s out-of-this-world golden hoop earrings crossed-over each other, to create the impression of a planetary orbit. The Japanese pearl label Tasaki collaborated with Prabal Gurung on the jewelry for his third collection.
A Look Ahead
Taking into account the jewelry pieces spotted on the New York, London, Milan and Paris Spring/Summer 2019 runways, here’s a summary of upcoming jewelry trends, according to Vogue Paris.
- Shell-shaped rings and pendants
- Extra-large and 1980s-inspired earrings
- Layered necklaces
- Crescent moon hoops
- Chains, chains, and more chains
- Name and logo necklaces
- Bold arm cuffs
- Western-inspired pieces
- New age chokers
If you’re inspired by the runway trends and are looking to update your jewelry fashion, enjoy shopping our wide variety of unique estate fine jewelry at Adina by Empire Jewelers, here on eBay.
Sources: jckonline.com; Vogue Paris