Are diamonds your best friend? Before you answer, take this quiz and test your knowledge of official birthstone of April!
Scroll down for the answers — but no cheating!
- Diamonds are a naturally occurring allotrope of what element?
- Diamonds are formed deep inside the Earth’s interior when carbon is crystallized over a long period of time. What two factors cause the crystallization?
- Diamonds are appraised and priced according to the 4 Cs: color, clarity, carat weight and cut. What organization created this standard grading system?
- Diamonds were first mined in India around 800BC. Today, what are the four top diamond producing countries in the world?
- A state park in Arkansas is the only diamond-producing location in the world that allows the public to dig for and keep the diamonds they find. What is the name of the state park?
- Marilyn Monroe famously sang “Diamonds Are a Girl’s Best Friend” in what 1953 film?
- In the 1963 film, The Pink Panther, Peter Sellers played clueless police inspector Jacques Clouseau on the trail of a jewel thief known as The Phantom. In the movie, what is the name of “the largest diamond in the world?”
- In December 2011, Elizabeth Taylor’s renowned jewelry collection was auctioned at Christie’s in New York. One of her most famous pieces was the Taylor-Burton diamond ring, given to her by husband, Richard Burton. How many carats is it, and what is its estimated worth?
- In James Cameron’s movie Titanic starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet, what is the name of the fictional blue diamond lost to the ocean?
- On December 10, 2012 at the final lot of Christie’s “Magnificent Jewels” auction, a new world auction record was achieved for a reddish-orange fancy colored diamond. What was the diamond’s carat weight, and what did it sell for?
Diamond Quiz Answers:
- Heat and pressure.
- The 4 Cs grading system was created by the Gemological Institute of America (GIA).
- Australia, Zaire, Botswana, and the former Soviet Union.
- Crater of Diamonds State Park.
- Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.
- “The Pink Panther.”
- The Taylor-Burton diamond is a 69.42 carat pear-shaped stone estimated to be worth $3.5 million. Taylor sold the diamond in 1978 following her divorce from Burton to fund her charity work.
- “The Heart of the Ocean.”
- The rare 3.15 carat diamond is the largest reddish-orange diamond ever graded at the Gemological Institute of America (GIA), and sold for $2,098,500, setting a new world auction record for a reddish-orange diamond and a new per-carat record price of $666,200.
If you’re lucky enough to have been born in April, you’re even more lucky to claim the diamond as your birthstone. An April birthday or not, you wouldn’t be alone if the diamond is your favorite gemstone. If you’re looking for diamond jewelry, shop Adina’s eBay store for a magnificent selection of estate and vintage diamond jewelry, including a vast collection of rings, necklaces and bracelets as well as other precious and semi-precious estate and vintage jewelry, gemstones and more.